Robert Kochis

California is a no-fault state which means that you do not need an “excuse” to end your marriage. You also do not need your spouse’s consent to obtain a divorce. When filing for the divorce because you two just can’t get along anymore, you would mark the “irreconcilable differences” box.

After filing the initial divorce documents, the Respondent needs to be served with the documents. He or she then has 30 days to file and serve a Response. If one party does not file the Response, a default Judgment can be entered. This means that the filing spouse may have a Judgment entered in his or her favor. It is important to get a Response filed so you do not go into default and your voice is heard in the divorce proceedings.

Whether it is a 2 week marriage or a 50 year marriage, we can help you. We understand that the decision you made to end your marriage was most likely not an easy one and you need your questions answered. We also understand that going through the process of a divorce can be intimidating. We can walk you through the entire process and we will make sure to try and “ease your pain” the best we can. You are not alone through this process.

Divorce in California

To file for divorce in California: